Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day One Hundred and Twenty-Two (Part two): Tuba in the Rose Parade


As I was walking into my brother's basketball tournament today, a familiar sound caught my attention: a drumline.  Many of you know, and I have no qualms in admitting, that I was in marching band in high school.  The Ankeny Marching Hawks were and still are a quality program.  It may not be considered cool by society's standards, but we had a lot of fun, and actually knew what went on at band camp (not exactly what you think...)  Thus, when people make fun of the band, I try and fervently defend them.

As the time keepers of a large group of people, the drumline usually practices a lot more than the rest of the band, which is why they were playing in May when the marching band season isn't until August.  So chastise them if you will for spending time banging on the drum and wearing funny hats, but when they put Thriller on the field again in September and you feel those goosebumps along the back of your neck, you'll be biting your mouthpiece.

Jeff, I implore you to comment and add any insight that you may have about the Marching Jayhawks. :)