Friday, May 1, 2009

Day One Hundred and Twenty-One: SWOOSH

There is no question that Lawrence is a basketball town. While I love my Jayhawks (see yesterday's post if you have any doubts), I've largely been able to keep myself from getting too wrapped up in the excitement most of the time (with the exception of the National Championship, of course...I don't think even the people most apathetic Kansans avoided nearly peeing their pants when the final buzzer rang.) I thoroughly enjoy watching Kansas Basketball and to trash talking with Mizzou fans about who is better, but no more than 5-10 minutes after the final shot is made, I'm back to focusing on whatever else I needs my attention. And I feel I've done a pretty job of not getting too attached to basketball in Lawrence over the past four years, despite the amazing things the Jayhawks have done.

Until today.

My brother's basketball tournament schedule FINALLY brings the All Iowa Attack to Lawrence this weekend. It's great to get to watch basketball, and then go home and sleep in my own bed. :) And just to have my family here is awesome. They haven't visited in a while and I like showing off "my" town. But when the ball is tipped off, I often become much like my two faced feline friend and change to the oober competitive Emily. Combine picture taking with basketball and you get a shot like this. This is my brother Ted, swooshing a free throw at his game tonight. If you could see the photographer of this picture, you would see a proud sister watching from above.

This weekend, much like a significant portion of my life in recent years, is going to be basketball filled. But I wouldn't really have it any other way.