Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day One Hundred and Forty-Six: Of Infinite Importance



If you were to ask me what is THE most important relationship or thing in my life, I would, without hestiation, say my faith and my relationship with God. Lately, however, I bet God would contest the sincerity of that statement because it seems that I haven't spent a whole lot of time with Him. Finding a time to sit down and pray has always been a struggle for me. I schedule my time well when it comes to things I have to do, but actually sitting and focusing on something has never been my strength. During Lent it was much easier because I had the "obligation" of the season hanging on my shoulders. But since then, the weather has become nice, events have popped up out of no where, and it when I get to the end of the day, I'm exhausted and haven't spent more than just a few moments talking with our Lord. Hopefully, however, I haven't failed in conveying the importance of my faith to you (which in itself can be a prayer). If not, hopefully I will redeem myself in this post.

Being Christian can mean many different things, but from the looks of this picture, you can probably surmise that I'm Catholic Christian. (Some people don't think Catholics are Christians, but those people are just flat out wrong.) The way you can determine my "Catholic-ness" (beyond my discourse on Lent above) is the picture of the Crucifix, rather than just a cross. From my understanding, other than close affiliates of the Catholic church like the Eastern Orthodox (and possibly Episcopalian), Catholics are the only group that uses the crucifix. Some people think this is because we have a fixation on death, but that is also just not true. We believe and cherish the resurrection just as much as any Christian denomination, but believe there is no context to the resurrection without Christ's suffering and death. There is much to be learned from his torture and walk up Calvary: unselfishness, bearing your burdern, love, following God's will even when you really don't want to, strength, etc. And only in first reflecting on what he did on that Friday can we truly understand what the resurrection did for us. There is a phrase said at nearly every mass that sums up the contrast between these two important days perfectly: dying destroyed our death and rising restored our life. These are two separate acts of love. And He would complete these acts every day for each one of us.

That last statement is the most important reason why I, and you and everyone, must build that relationship with God and pray every day. (I know I'm being the pot -- or kettle-- right now, but I try). He not only died for us, but all the little good things, they're from Him. And the strength to get through the bad times, that's from Him too. It's amazing how the bad doesn't seem as bad and the good seems even more good when you're going through it with the Lord.

I know there are many challenges right now to whether God or a creator or an all being-power actually exists, but in my mind, there is no question. It's the beauty of the mountains, the calm of a rainy day, the excitement of spring, the taste of a delicious hot dog, the love between two people....God is in all those things. When I know that I have expereinced something truly good, I have no doubt that that is God. God is always there, you just have to look for Him, and "looking" for Him is as simple as opening your eyes.

C.S. Lewis, the author of "The Chronicles of Narnia" and a famed Christian writer, once said this about Christianity:
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. 

I don't think anyone -- believer or not -- can deny this statement. And I choose to (try and) live my life in a way that reflects the latter half of that first sentence. I believe the faith given to Peter and handed down through his successors, is the true way to expereince and return the love of the Lord. I don't succeed in doing everything He asks of me every day, but every day I try and hope that, in the end, it will be enough.