Monday, June 22, 2009

Day Seventy-Three: HOT HOT HOT!


Today, we reach a new milestone in the picture-of-the day project: a video "photo-of-the-day".  My idea was to watch an ice cube melt.  I'm not sure what exactly I was thinking when I first stumbled upon this idea because, frankly, a picture of a single ice cube on the sidewalk isn't all that interesting.  (I think I just wanted to show you how stinkin' HOT it is here right now.)  But as I was flipping through the pictures I took of this ice cube, I noticed that, when put all together and viewed fairly quickly, it was a fun "animation".  So, I took the pictures, shrank them down, and put them into this short 20 second video comprised of about 35 different shots.  The pictures themselves are nothing spectacular, but it is fun to watch the ice cube go away and the water circle expand.

Just in case you were wondering, it took the ice cube about 12 minutes to go from fully formed to a puddle of water.  That's a little longer than I was expecting on this day of 100 degree heat (107 degree heat index), but I suppose pretty darn fast. It might have gone faster if the ice was in the sun, but I had a long run on Monday (8 miles!) and by the time I got out of the gym, direct sunlight was hard to come by.

Anyway, enjoy my first video "photo-of the day"!