Monday, June 1, 2009

Day One Hundred and Fifty-Two: Love


As Pete and I were on our way to check out the stick hut the other day, I noticed this garage door on Memorial Drive/ Mississippi Street (we're not sure what the street is actually called at that point) with some graffiti on it.  But rather than some weird symbol or expletive, it simply said "love."  I made a mental note to come back and take a picture of that garage, and tonight, I got my chance.

Those of you who have known me for a while know my dislike (I think I even described it as an "abomination") that the English language only has one word to express the extremely different sentiments affiliated with the word "love".  The love in "I love McDonalds" is definitely not the same as "I love my dog" which is also not the same as "I love my husband" or "I love my mom." (Can you imagine what would happen if you told your girlfriend that you ACTUALLY loved her like a fat kid loves cake?! I don't think you'd have a girlfriend anymore....). 

The definition that I prefer is the definition given in 1 John 4:16: "God is love, and all who live in love, live in God."  But what does this mean?  Well, John 3:16 talks about God loving the world so much that He gave his only son so that we would have life.  We're then told that there is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend. Okay, that's a little more practical. What else?  1 Corinthians 13:4,probably the most oft referenced biblical definition of love, is even more descriptive on how we are called to love: Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast. It is not proud. It is not rude. It is not self seeking. It is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrong.  Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects. It always trusts. It always hopes. It always perseveres.  Love never fails.  

A little different than "I love jelly beans", huh?

That being said, I not sure which definition the author of the graffiti meant when they wrote it, but when I stood there with Pete taking the picture, it became clear that my preferred definition are the definitions provided by our Lord.   I'm not sure Pete and I always accomplish loving in the way that we're called, but we certainly try.  To do so, we must keep the source of love, our God in heaven, at the center, drawing strength from Him in times of trouble and thanking Him in times of peace.  When God is in the center, the result is amazing. When God is in the center, love protects and does all the things listed above.  When God is in the center, love does not fail.  

As much as I dislike it, I'll probably continue to nonchalantly use phrases like "I love my Starbucks."  But, I know that the taste of a caramel frapuccino is nothing compared to love in and through the Lord. God is love and all who live in love, live in God.

For more on how we are called to love, check out Pope Benedict's Encyclical "Deus Caritas Est": God is love.