Monday, June 23, 2008

Waiting for the World to Change

Despite catching the bouquet at the wedding, it was actually a pretty good weekend. I have to admit that I wasn't really looking forward to this wedding. I know and really like Adam and Jody, but they aren't my closet friends, and frankly (I didn't think it was possible) I'm wedding-ed out. But I'm really glad I was there...whenever I get to the actual wedding and realize the significance and the beauty of what goes on, my fears are washed away and am thankful to be part of such a big day in the lives of two wonderful people. This wedding was no exception.

It turned out to be especially because of the rest of the group that was there. I basically have three friend groups here in KS: the law students, the older St. Lawrence Crowd, and the younger St. Lawrence crowd. The older St. Lawrence crowd has really spread out all over the country and we don't all get together very often. But we were partially reunited this weekend and it was great. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my time with the other two groups just as well, but there is just something about being with people who you know believe in the same things you do, and have experienced many of the same things you have. Most of the people I was with have either been through grad school, are currently attending grad school, or will be entering grad school in the fall. That perspective on college and life creates a different understanding of life; the conversations you have change and the fervor with which you discuss and comprehend things changes. But, we have still been through enough things together to have fun. Now, I have to admit, I'm really a transplant into my "older" St. Lawrence crowd. They all went through college together, and I sort of went through their last year with them. Despite that, there is some sort of connections that was more than welcome this weekend and will continue to be so.

Sunday I hit up a Royals game with one of the friends I met last summer and two of his friends. It was also really fun. The best analogy I've come up with for what the bar exam does for you is a pop culture reference to Harry Potter. In the HP series, Harry fight the evil lord voldemort; voldemort's little worker dudes are the dementors. In one of the books (I believe book three) one of Harry's friends describes dementors in the following way:

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself...soul-less and evil. You will be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."

That is what the bar exam is like. And things like the wedding and the Royals game are absolutely necessary to maintain your sanity. The game was hot (not sticky, fortunately), but we got some sweet hats, I got a tan (just a little burn), won a free sundae from Sheridan's, and the Royals came out with a victory. A great time.


Lastly: my new internet love-Brad Paisely and John Mayer singing "Daughters". MmmmMMMmmm Totally worth the 4:30 video.

Some people only know how to make a living. With God as your Father, you can know how to make a life. "If you love Me, keep my commandments. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me." (John 14:15)