Saturday, September 15, 2007

You forgot to take the little man off your drink before you took a sip!

Yesterday was my birthday, and celebrating it far away from everyone I love was pretty difficult. We went out on Thursday night to a bar in Soho that wanted to charge me £3.50 for a bottle of beer...£7.00 for a mixed drink. That depressing news, and just the stress of being away from home really saddened me. But, despite that slow start, it turned out to be a lot of fun. After I got through the 6 hours of class I had, a group of us went to the Orangery at Kensington Palace for High Tea. High Tea is basically people sitting around, talking and enjoying delicious tea, finger sandwiches, scones, and cakes. I had some amazing cinnamon tea and pomegranate fizz to drink, and had a little cucumber sandwich, scone, and small piece of cake to eat. Honestly, it was the most delicious food I've had in a long time. After the Orangery, the group of us walked around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens for a bit, and then headed home. The celebration continued later on and we went back to the bowling alley where we sang karoke, and had some fun there. It turned out to be a better day than I though it was going to be. While I still wish I could have enjoyed the things that I did with people who I know better, the people that were there did a great job in making me feel special, and I really appreciate that.

The Bobby Hat (police officer's hat for those of you who don't know what a bobby is) you see in some of the the pictures (see the London photo album --->) was my birthday party hat. Blake, the guy who got it for me, didn't think a princess crown or something along those lines was quiet appropriative for celebrating a birthday in London. Please know, these are the souvenirs I got my brothers the last time I came to London. At that point and time, they were 2 and 6...ages when that hat would actually fit their heads. It was a little small for me (go ahead...insert the "big head" jokes here), but I'm sure it fit nicely into the plan of making me look funny. (My friend in this picture is Nick..the other guy from KU on the program with me.)

Today was very casual. I woke up around noonish, walked around the British Museum a bit more, went to mass, got some dinner, and met up with people at a place that shows FOOTBALL!!! I didn't get to see any of the Iowa/ Iowa State game, but at least got to watch some pigskin. The place we went to also serves Diet Coke, gives free refills, and has crushed ice. Needless to say, I think I'll be back there before too long.

P.S. London photo album updated!