Wednesday, September 19, 2007

You can move mountains...you just need a bigger spade.

Warning: this entry epitomizes me as a musical theater nerd.

I just got back from Mary Poppins, the Musical, and it was fantastic. To be truthful, I was a little skeptical after the first act. At the end of it, Mary Poppins leaves the Banks home. What, you say? Yes, it sounds uncharacteristic of her...and it is. (A little history for you-- P.L. Travers-- author of the Mary Poppins book-- was very concerned about letting Walt Disney produce the book into a movie Walt had to approach her for a good number of years before she allowed him to make it into the movie. There had to be the right actors, right songs, right everything.... I wonder if she would approve that deviation in the story line.) Quite frankly, I wasn't happy with her leaving, but it all eventually resolved itself. Right before that, there is a scary scene where the toys in the nursery come alive and talk about spoiled children. And it's not come alive like they do in the movie to go back to their places in the nursery...it's come alive and freak us out. But the second act redeemed the whole thing and now I'm again on a little musical cloud number nine.

There were some deviations in the plot from what we're all used to in the movie: they didn't develop the character of Bert as much, there was more of a love interest between Mary and Bert (although not enough to really make you angry. I guess a deep mutual admiration is the best way to say it), Mrs. Banks is more disgruntled with her life situation, and they develop why Mr. Banks is as cross and unhappy he is (a bad nanny when he was a kid). That nanny actually comes back into the plot line to take over for Mary just after she leaves and before she comes back. There were some things, odd enough, that were more true to the book: The name of the lady that walks outside the house, and the name of her dog; there being a male and female housekeeper (rather than two females). Okay, so not TOO many things...or at least that I can remember right now.

The new songs weren't all that great. I mean, they are fun, but nothing that will be caught in my head for the next week. The staging was cool, but nothing spectacular. Of course Mary flies, and some other characters do some pretty cool and unexpected stuff (I won't tell you so that you will be as delighted as I was), but the nature of the story itself is just so wonderful that it succeeds with mediocre songs and atmosphere. But oh..supercalifragilisticxpalidocious was awesome. Just awesome. Step-in-time was great, too.

I'm particularly disappointed in the lack of development of Bert because of who was playing him tonight: Gavin Creel. I'm familiar with Gavin b/c of his role in the revival of Thoroughly Modern Millie...he played the lead male "Jimmy" there, and the summer after my freshman year of college, my friends and I memorized the soundtrack. (I remember listening to the CD while at work at Baskin Robbins one time. I told Mindy, the cake decorator, that his voice was positively my favorite male vocal voice...ever. That was about 4 years ago, and I still hold true to that today.) Needless to say I was excited to see him, regardless of the role. While the role didn't showcase his vocal ability as much as it could have, the role of Bert was as jovial and lovable as ever.

There were some kids behind us that chomped on chips (theater here is much more relaxed...you eat and drink [alcohol eve] in the theater and it's no big deal. the theaters, in fact, sell the refreshments just like a movie) and talked the whole show that got my group pretty frustrated. But, they were quiet during most of the important parts and became kind of endearing when they sang along to certain songs. Kind of.

The weather outside -- cool, and somewhat rainy, the wet pavement reflecting the lights -- combined with going to the theater and being 100% enchanted by it made this my quintessential London night. And it was a good one. :)