Monday, July 20, 2009

Day Two Hundred and One: MVEMJSUNP


During my semester in London in the Fall of 2007, my gal pal Val and I took a weekend trip to island country of Malta (just off the coast of Italy). The smallest country in the EU, Malta is a unique place with a rich and very diverse heritage. It is the country where St. Paul shipwrecked around 60 A.D. It has been ruled by the Romans, Arabs, and most recently the British. Malta gained it's independence around 1970 and has become one of the most flourishing countries in the EU.

One of the other things Malta is known for (besides the things listed above, it's deep Roman Catholic heritage, highly educated peopl,e and stunning beaches) is its glass, and while traversing the island, I made sure to pick some up and bring it home. Today, you see the inside of my blown glass vase, one of my favorite souvenirs from my time abroad. This vase is actually pink glass, but I played with it in photoshop to create the image you see now.

As I'm writing this entry, I received word that a friend of mine prematurely had a baby, had the baby baptized, was able to spend a brief time with her child, and the child passed on to be with the good Lord in heaven. I ask you to take a moment or two and remember my friend, her husband and their baby.