Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day One: The Beginning


Here is the first picture of my 365 day adventure!  I took this picture at the Chi Omega fountain on the KU campus. During the spring, people often put food coloring or soap in the fountain, and in the summer, you can see people taking in the sun on pool floaties.   When it's possible the fountain is usually surrounded by lots of beautiful flowers, and is really a staple in the KU campus scenery.  In the four winters I have been in Lawrence, I've never seen anything done to the fountain during this quiet season, until this year.  I'm not sure who or how they accomplished it, but this year, coming out of the spouts where the water would shoot, there are metal poles with these clear plastic bottles attached to them. From far away, it appears that the water has frozen in mid-air.  While it was, for about two or three days, cold enough for it to MAYBE freeze that way, it's a balmy 36 degrees right now.  In that sense, my senses often deceive me when I see the fountain, requiring me to take a minute to process what in fact is going on. Nevertheless, it's really cool, and is (obviously) the subject of my first photo.  Check out today's "runner-up" pictures for a view of the "far-off" look.

Cheerio!