Monday, August 10, 2009

Day Two Hundred and Twenty-Two: Sisterly Love


If there is one set of sisters that has had the largest impact on my life in Lawrence, without a doubt, it's the Meitl sisters. I met both Jennifer and Rhonda my first year in Lawrence, and hung out sporadically with mostly Jennifer. During that time, we learned that we are very much so "kindred spirits"; although we have very different personalities, we love people and often have the same positive perspective on things.

Jennifer then went away to grad school at Oregon State and Rhonda was left at KU by herself. Somehow (to my benefit), I became her pseudo sister, making sure she was doing all right and standing in for Jennifer when Rhonda needed a hug or a laugh. Rhonda and I studied abroad at the same time, and got to do a fair amount of traveling and sightseeing together. After we got home, we inadvertently formed an "American Idol" watching posse.

This year, I got them BOTH: Jennifer as my roommate, and Rhonda in her senior year. It was fun to see them together, and to get to know them as a "family." Rhonda's life after college is taking her to Baltimore where she will nanny for a while, and tonight, we bid her
adieu with
some cheap and delicious Free State beers. Before Pete and I made our way to the restaurant, I received a text message asking me to bring my camera to get a picture of the Meitl sisters. In return, I was promised a donation to my marathon fundraising, but more importantly I could use them as my photo of the day.

I feel like these pictures capture their personalities perfectly: goofy and quirky, but incredible friends and sisters for each other. I've been very blessed to have the Meitls in my life, and hope that I have even given them a portion of what they've given me. Maybe these pictures are a start...