Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day Ninety-Nine: Iron Works


One of the most notable sites in all the world is the Eiffel Tower. (I bet you recognized this close frame shot almost instantaneously). The iron structure that graces the banks of the Seine River in Paris has been idolized and memorialized in hundreds of thousands of ways since it was finished for the 1889 World's Fair, commemorating 100 years since the French Revolution. I was lucky enough to climb nearly all of the 710 steps during my stint in Europe in Fall 2007.

Any one of my friends who has spent a substantial amount of time with me since I've returned from my semester abroad knows that I'm mildly obsessed with Europe, particularly London. Fortunately for me, American interior decorators have joined in my obsession, and in the past couple years have offered a variety of representations of the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, and other world landmarks at cheap prices to make your home a little more worldly. Of course, I jumped on part of that bandwagon.

Truthfully, I liked Paris, but it didn't quite live up to its hype. It was nice, but when you're with a friend (my dear friend Rhonda), and not a significant other, the city of love (and all the people smooching on nearly every corner) doesn't seem quite as lovely. But, the Eiffel tower is quite lovely, and this representation of it, especially at 11:30 p.m. on a night where I have yet to take a picture, is also quite nice. I'm certainly willing to give Paris another shot, but maybe I'll venture there with Pete this time. :)

P.S.  I passed the Iowa Bar!!! WOO HOO! :)