Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's so hard to say goodbye

It's been an eventful 24 hours. Last night, the Tulsa program held a "farewell party" for all of the people in our program. Because we were taking a group picture, everyone came looking nice (with the exception of those of us who are in the Human Rights class and were working on our papers all day), and we celebrated the end of our journey here in London with food and wine. We had a similar reception at the beginning of the program, and it's so interesting to see how things have changed and evolved since then. I'm at the point where I really like the people who are in my program; i feel they finally accept me for who I am, know my boundaries, and are okay with that. I love them equally as much, and it's hard to say goodbye to that when it's taken so long to get comfortable. But that's the way life goes, I suppose.

I hadn't planned on going out last night, but somehow it just happened; it's my last weekend in London and despite the fact that I have 4 finals in 3 days next week, I felt it was something I needed to do. Stacy, Jen D., Val, and I ended up going out to that same Hawaiian type bar that Val and I met my friend Simi at before going to Malta. It was a great time, and it was nice to have a small group of just girls. Many of you know that I'm not a very "girlie" person-- I've just never been in to or felt comfortable with that. But being here has changed that, both because of the people I've met, and because of the people I miss. Don't worry, I'm not ridiculously girlie (I'm not sure I could EVER get there), but it's a little different from before. I think it's where I'm supposed to be.

Anyway, this morning (after only about 4 hours of sleep), I got up and met up with Val, Melissa, Anna, and Nick to go ice skating at a rink that sits inside the moat of the Tower of London. We were the first group of the morning, so it wasn't jam packed (which was oober nice), and it was just blissful. It was a cool crisp morning, but not too cold. I was with my friends, skating (and not falling down) in front of one of the world's most historical structures, with Christmas music playing, and in the best city in the whole wide world. I could not have been more peaceful, nor any happier.

Since I hadn't been actually inside the Tower this visit, I did that after skating. The Beefeaters (the Tower's security guards and queen's official body guards) give free tours, and I took that. Because I needed to get back home and start studying, I gave a cursory glance at the armor of King Henry VIII (who I despise, by the way), and at the worlds largest solitaire diamond in the crown jewels. But it was just incredible.

It's getting close to the end of my time here; this time next week I'll be back in the states (barely), but I'm getting sappy and sentimental because of it. I'm so lucky to have come here. Thank you to all of you who someway made this possible-- from my friends who always knew that this would be good for me, to my parents who supported me regardless of how crazy this decision was, my roommates for accommodating me, and everyone else who has said prayers or well wishes. I appreciate it more than you could possibly know.

Don't stop reading-- that above paragraph isn't a goodbye wish, just a recognition of how incredibly blessed I am. I'll write more in the next day or so. Until then, I've updated my pictures from last night and today. They're again in the "These are the times to remember album..." Enjoy.