Tuesday, August 28, 2007

TV dinners in the UK come with the rice in one tray, and chicken in another. It's not two separate meals...you're supposed to eat them together.

Here are a few more things that a different about London:

- Washers and Dryers. Well, really, it's just washers. They are tiny, and the load I have in right now takes about 2 1/2 hours to get done. I must be doing something wrong, because really, it doesn't take that long. And as for dryers, they don't dry. They leave your clothes "damp for ironing." Rrrrrrriiiiggghhht. My t-shirt does NOT need ironing. So, I'm going to work as hard as possible to keep my clothes clean and wear them as many times as possible before washing them.

- Smoking: On July 1, London went smoke free. That means there is no smoking in any facility that is open to the public...AMAZING!!!!

- Parks: Parks, and going and sitting in parks, are what people do on the weekends. They just sit and talk and simply get to know and enjoy each other, without the distractions of TV and computer and all the other distractions of the modern world.

- Television (again): this is more about the television that the Brits chose to bring over here. Right now, we have "Friends." If we're lucky, once a day we'll find "Scrubs" or "Dawson's Creek". But then, they bring in just awful shows like "Hope & Faith" (a.k.a. Kelly Rippa over-acting), and "8 simple rules," or old "Home Improvement" (which isn't awful...just old.) I've been here almost two weeks, and I still have no idea what the Brits are thinking when the plan their TV line-ups.

I went to the library today to look for a book, and I realized how much I miss TOTAL silence. I mean, it's quiet (some nights), but never completely silent. Even in then parks. Silence isn't good all the time, but sometimes, my ears need a complete rest, just like all the rest of us.


Thank you, to all of you, for reading my blog. I get comments every once in a while, or hear that people are reading, and its nice to know that I'm not writing to an audience of me, myself, and I. So, keep reading. I'll keep writing, and making poor attempts at being funny. :)