Monday, March 16, 2009

Day Seventy-Five: Beauty in your backyard

Sometimes finding a picture is tricky. You have to look around for the right spot at the right time of day to make sure the lighting, the subjects, and all the other little elements come together.  Some days, you're out walking your dogs and it just hits you. Today was one of those days.  

Pete is venturing around the country while on Spring Break (by the time he starts school again on Monday, he will have been in  six states).  He is currently visiting his friend Matt at Notre Dame and was unable to take Farley with him, so I more than willingly offered/ agreed to watch Farley.  Apparently my daring side snuck out last night and I decided to take Lucy and Farley on a walk at the same time. That's not always a good idea because Lucy just gets so excited while outside and, at the same time, tries to play with Farley, usually by gnawing at his collar or leash.  Although it hasn't happened yet, it wouldn't surprise me if this venture resulted in a scraped chin or elbow because they've (Lucy) tripped Pete or me.

But we didn't get very far outside of my house when I spotted it: my picture of the day.  In the seven months or so I've lived here, I haven't stopped to take a lot of time to explore my neighborhood.  But all of the sudden, my eyes were opened to the sunset and how the waning daylight created a mirror image of the trees in the 
very still creek that cuts across my townhouse complex.  I quickly brought the dogs back to the house, and ran back outside with my camera in hopes that the sun would hold out a few more minutes for me. And it did. I was able to capture both my picture of the day, and several others like this one.

I encourage you to take a look out your backdoor to see what beautiful things might be hiding.  And more than that, don't just go look...explore. Sometimes the beautiful things won't reveal themselves until we approach them from a different angle.  And even if you don't find it the first time, go searching again; beauty is always there.  A friend of mine writes Christian music. One of my favorite lines from his song called "Proposal" (a song he wrote to propose to his wife, Erin), recalls that "even the rain is the love of the Lord".  Explore the rain, the cold, the heat, the wind. You never know what will pop up, and how you will find beauty and inspiration in the little things.