Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day Seventy-Four: Mr. Squeaky

Meet someone I have just recently (read: in titling this entry) dubbed "Mr. Squeaky."  Lucy, although now about 60 pounds, is still very clearly a puppy. She's hyper and happy, and loves to chew on things.  Two shoes (from different pairs) have bitten the dust, but fortunately thus far, she's mostly only chewed up sticks and her toys.  But when I say "chewed up", I really mean destroyed, demolished, and any other adjective which implies completely modifying something from its original form and reducing it to tiny bits and pieces.  So, of the three or four toys I've purchased for her thus far, prior to this weekend, only two remained.  While in Ankeny this weekend, we made a "family" outing to PetSmart this weekend that included my brothers Ted & Ben, Lucy, Farley, Pete, and myself to get both Lucy and Farley another couple of play things.  Ted & Ben picked out two toys: a rubber stick (that Lucy has already begun to tear apart), and Mr. Squeaky.

Unlike the rubber stick, Mr. Squeaky is an awesome toy.  First of all, he's large enough that Lucy has a hard time getting him into her mouth, and watching her try has provided for many minutes of entertainment.  Eventually, because she's a smart and savy dog, she's figured it out. But that's not where the fun ends:  Mr. Squeaky, as his name probably leads you to believe, squeaks. And it's not a normal high-pitched noise that many baby and dog toys make. No, this sound is more reminiscent of flatulance, or "fluffling" as my old roommate Beth used to say, which has provided for even MORE laughs.

Despite our best intentions, something about flatulance makes nearly everyone laugh.  This was best illustrated when, at one family Christmas, my cousins placed a "flatulance machine" in my grandpa's back pocket, then proceeded to repeatedly press the remote "detinator" throughout his Christmas money presentation and had nearly my whole family in tears we were all laughing so hard.  Although I don't usually laugh THAT hard when Lucy plays with Mr. Squeaky, he has easily become my favorite toy of Lucy's and I usually hope that she is playing with him.

So, Mr. Squeaky, thank you for being a wonderful, well-made toy.  And for providing us with the giggles...and low-brow comedy.