Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day Seventy-Six: Luck o' the Irish

Although I'm both Irish and Catholic, I'm not big on St. Patrick's Day. Of course I wear green (it's my favorite color so I'll take any excuse to wear it just one more day a week), but I usually don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the typical American fashion. So today I celebrated the day by attending Tuesdays at the Boulevard. This is an event that is hosted by City on a Hill Young Adult ministries of the diocese of St. Joseph, Missouri. Once a month, they meet for mass and then pizza and beer at the Boulevard Brewing Company. It's an opportunity for me to praise the Lord and catch up with friends. I don't always get to go, and cherish the opportunities when I do. Today, it worked out for me to attend.

The part of the Boulevard factory where we hang out has an awesome patio and last night, people spilled outside to take in the warm March (but still winter season, as Kelly reminded us) night air. The factory is just outside of downtown and the view of the city lights from the patio is unbeatable. And voila!, we have my picture for the day. Turn around and you see the color changing "Boulevard Brewing Company" sign that was appropriately participating in the wearing o' the green (that is, with the exception of the "B" in Brewing that Dan dubbed as the "mood letter".) And here's a shout out to Kelly and Dan for keeping me company while I took these pictures and helping select the winning shots. It was delightful to see you, amongst many.

In late fall, I stumbled upon a prayer that has become a prayer that Pete and I pray every morning (coordinating through text message to say it at the "same" time): The Lorica of St. Patrick. I find it's a great way to start the day; it praises the Lord for it's goodness and asks Him to be with us each and every moment of the day. It prepares us for the battles we will have to fight during the day, and reminds us that we are to follow the Lord's will in making every decision. Pete attended mass while at Notre Dame, and in honor of the patron's feast day, they said the last, and what is probably the most popular, part of the prayer where we ask Christ to be in our every movement. But I will end my post today with the four lines that both commence and conclude the prayer, and encourage you to do the same.

I arise today through a mighty strength.
The invocation of the trinity.
Through a belief in the threeness.
Through a confession of the oneness
Of the creator of creation.