Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day Thirty-Eight: Little blue box


Show any girl a little box in this color, and they will instantaneously know what it is: a gift from Tiffany & Co.  The store has been romanticized throughout popular culture...in books, movies and songs, most notably by the indelible Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's."  Many girls dream of one day receiving such a box with a shiny piece of jewelry inside; I had a roommate in undergrad who would cut out the Tiffany & Co. ad from the New York Times and send it to her then boyfriend, now husband, everyday.  Those who make fake designer purses have taken to copying the designer jewelry to allow people to get the Tiffany feel at a significantly reduced price.  To receive a piece of Tiffany & Co. jewelry means that someone has taken a little extra time to think about you, and is putting forth an extra effort to let you know how much they care.

I can't say that I've ever craved Tiffany jewelry. Yes, I've browsed the website, but mostly in an effort to help a guy friend or two pick out something for their girlfriends.  I think the pieces they offer are timeless and would love to have one of them someday, but I have loan payments, car payments, and rent obligations that must be met, and know that most of my friends are in the same situation.  

But last night, I received one of those little blue boxes from Pete during our early Valentine's day celebration.  The box contained a set of exquisite earrings that I will wear often (most likely every day for quite a while).  I can't tell you exactly what I was thinking or feeling except that I was overwhelmed with joy...not so much because of the gift itself, but because of what it represented.  :)

(This picture was taken in the lobby of the Hyatt Hotel, where we had dinner, near crown center in Kansas City.  Check Pete's blog for a more thorough description of the evening and the stunning lobby....and a pretty sweet picture, too.)