Monday, September 14, 2009

Day Two Hundred and Fifty-Seven: Birthday Tea



When I was in London two years ago, we celebrated my birthday by going for High Tea at the Orangery at Kensington Gardens...the little tea house next to Hyde Park and Princess Diana's home. Today was very reminiscent of that day: a day that didn't start off so hot, but ended very nicely. Pete's friend Tim's--a former roommate and groomsmen in our wedding--mother passed away yesterday. Pete decided this morning to fly out to Virginia to show support for Tim, his wife Jen, and their family. This meant, however, I wasn't going to get to be with him on my birthday.

Before Pete hit the blue yonder, he made a special trip to Topeka to see me at work for just five minutes. That was the best birthday present I could have asked for. But he also arrived with a present--this tea cup with a little flower planted in it. While it definitely took me back to my British birthday two years ago, it continued a joke the two of us had going for the past week or two. (Stay tuned and if you and I are both lucky, I'll fill you in soon.)

After saying goodbye to Pete, I headed back into work with a much better attitude. Andrea then treated me to some amazing mushroom gnocchi at Free State, and a stop at Yummy's. All in all, my twenty-sixth year started off pretty darn well.