Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day Eight: Stairway to....the fourth floor

Compared to Wednesday, today seemed to bring an abundance of picture opportunities. The picture above is my favorite. I work in a building that is relatively old, and used to be the State of Kansas's Historical Museum. Because of that, there is a lot of delightful architecture and embellishments; craftsmanship, skill and time not often put into modern architecture are abundant. Unfortunately, much of what I assume was the building's "glory" has been minimized by the addition of walls and structures that allow for offices, and budget cuts that prohibit the spending of funds on things like polishing railings. But, the railings of the stairs, and the stairs themselves for that matter, have survived the transition to modern day office space, and they are the subject of my photo today.

I love the different "parts" of this photo: the sunlight leaking through the window highlighting the upper part of the railing, the shadow the sunlight creates on the elevator door behind the railing, the part of the rail where no sunlight hits which allows you to see the intricacy of the iron. Mmm...I could soak this one in for a while. :) Pete suggested taking this again some time with a wide angle lens. I'm not sure how all of the lenses work quite yet, but I may just have to try it.

I have to admit that I've manipulated the photo a bit; the posts probably haven't been polished in at least 10 years, and the colors aren't nearly as vibrant in real life. But that is the glory of the digital photo process. While changing the brightness and saturation levels, I had a feeling that have to imagine is somewhat reminiscent of what James Cameron felt when he was laying the shots of the "new" Titanic over the shots of the underwater sunken Titanic...everything just magically comes to life.

The other pictures are also quite tasty, but I didn't find as much about them that I liked. The one of the capitol was taken from an office inside my building. Some of the other pictures I took at that time made the capitol seem like a painting through the window...the sky was just so blue (and that's not manipulated), and the clouds so poofy and white that they were surreal. It's nice to have a reminder every once in a while that paintings and drawings aren't always how we wish things may be...the world really is that beautiful. The soup can has obviously been manipulated with some of the fun filters in photoshop. My thought was to try and re-create the iconic Andy Warhol piece, but this is what I came up with instead...and I'm pretty statisfied.

Happy Friday, everyone! Thanks again for your comments and checking up on me!