Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I am the luckiest

A lot of things have happened over the past couple weeks to cause me to stop and contemplate the fragility of life. Around the 4th of July, a law student was murdered. Last weekend when I went home, I saw a family friend who has been diagnosed with Lou Gerigh's disease and isn't projected to live for many more years. Last night, a motorcyclist was killed and a brutal traffic accident, and I was also told that one of my friends, and one of the most resilient and extraordinary women I have ever met, had a stroke last week. She is 35.

I realize that I've been complaining a lot about how this summer is just awful, but I hope everyone knows that below that sarcasm and minor pieces of truth, I am truly grateful for everything I have, my talents, my gifts, my family, my friends, my faith, etc. Hopefully there won't ever be a day where I don't wake up and, at least at some point, realize how lucky I am to be alive, living this messed-up, awful, beautiful, magical little thing called life.