Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy BirthdayThanksChristmas!

Last night, in an effort to bring Thanksgiving to London, our program coordinator (Val- not to be confused with friend Val. In this post, I'll say "friend Val" if that is who I am referring to. Otherwise assume Val program coordinator.) set up a Turkey dinner for us at a local pub. Despite my hesitations, it was wonderful. Val hung Thanksgiving decorations all around the room for us, decorated the tables with birthday confetti, and bought British holiday poppers for all of us. The British holiday poppers are kind of like tug of war type things: it's a tube covered with foil wrapping. One person gets on either side of the tube and pulls, and just like with a wishbone, the person with the majority of the tube after it separates gets the prizes inside! The prizes consist of very valuable gems such as a mini stencil, a joke, and a paper crown. If you weren't lucky enough to get a stencil, you might have gotten a spider ring or a fake mustache. (My joke was very clever. Q: What athlete at the winter games stays the warmest? A: The long jumper!! -- A jumper is a sweater in England.)

Then it was time for the food, and we had a feast. There was turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, salad, bread, AND pumpkin pie. After dinner, we had a raffle drawing, and one of our professors who does stand up comedy on the side did part of her act for us. Several of us were still feeling festive after the dinner officially ended, so we went out to a club in Piccadilly. I had fairly low expectations about all of this thanksgiving hullabaloo, but I don't think it could have gotten much closer to home...it was really wonderful.

Most everyone else is off on Thanksgiving trips starting tonight or tomorrow. I'll be here working on my human rights paper (hopefully finishing it) and studying some other subjects. I don't really have a whole lot planned for this weekend simply because I don't have anyone to do things with: people have either scampered off to different places around the world, or those that are here have friends coming in. But I'll make due...and hopefully get to see some other things in London I haven't done yet. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.