Monday, March 2, 2009

Day Sixty-One: Spinning Closer and Closer

Despite receiving the most substantial snowfall we've seen all winter this past weekend, Spring is getting closer and closer each day.  We will soon be able to venture outdoors without hats and mittens, and will thrust open the windows and doors in hopes of catching a whiff of that sweet fresh air.  The Kansas weather changes with the blink of an eye, and every now and again, Spring will give way to Summer -- slipping in before it's due -- inviting us to turn on our fans, and possibly even the air conditioner. 

Although a significant portion of the country is no where close to spring today, and Lawrence only reached a high a third of its average ( 34 degrees where the average is 52), the spring bug seeped into my soul and invited me to play with my colorful fan.*  Yes, this is the fan in my room.  Yes, I am 25 years old.  But no, I did not install this fan.  From what I understand, the couple who lived in the condo before Jennifer and I moved in were expecting.  My room was supposed to be the child's room, and they prepared it for the baby: light blue walls with white feather dusting (maybe to look like clouds?) and the multi-colored fan.  But when they were told they were having twins, the humble four-walled living space was no longer big enough, and sold the house to Jennifer.

When I moved in, I promptly painted the walls "coffee with cream" and accented the north wall with "dark chocolate" paint. I attempted to take down the fan blades to either paint them to match or replace them with the white blades that are patiently waiting in my closet, but the space between the screws and the ceiling proved to be smaller than the height of my screwdriver, and nearly seven months later, I still have the colored blades.

I don't really mind the fan.  It is always a talking (read: teasing) point for the few people that enter my room, and I feel (and hope you do, also) that it reflects my cheery personality....reminding me that there is a lot of color and joy in the world.  Maybe that's a lot to read out a simple ceiling fan, but reading a lot out of things is also my personality. :)

*Truthfully, the inspiration for this photo came last week when I was hitting the sack early after the bar exam and was challenged to take my picture for the day from my bed...but the commentary on spring just fits a lot better.