Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day Seventy-Seven: ROY-G-BIV



I love color. People laugh at how much I incorporate color into the things I do at work, at home, in my clothing, in my e-mails, etc. As someone who has a basic understanding and a small amount of training in graphic design, I was taught that to use color to enliven a document, to set a theme, and to organize (such as how my closet is generally organized by shirt color). I love how colors can reflect your mood, although I don't always agree that blue means sad and red means angry. I love most colors individually, and I love bundles of color all together but there are some dyes I would never pair up. But while I will gladly use a box of Crayola "original" colors any day of the week over a black pen, I also understand that there are times when only using the colors black and white are appropriate.


I'm not sure we appreciate or use color nearly to the extent that we should. Yes, while black and white are colors, we can also hide behind them, trying to mask our true potential or who we are. God made the word in technicolor so that we can relish the blues of the sky, the green of the grass, the purple of the flower, praise Him, and realize that even when dull colors come along, the bright colors will return...patience is all that is needed. I'm one to talk about patience because it is a virtue which I severely lack, but we have to keep trying, again, and again, and again. When the Wizard of Oz took the world of motion pictures into color, it turned everything upside down and helped people to see the potential that is out there. Black and white have their times, but we should be careful not get stuck behind them.

So, the next time you're feeling glum, open your eyes to the colors around you and what makes the world blue and green and yellow and red and good. :)