Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day Seventy: Blooming in the Real World


As of this coming Saturday, I will have been in the working world 7 months.  Although it's gone incredibly fast, the transition to the eight hour work day, only having a couple of hours in the evening to do whatever I want to do, and living for the weekend has been tough at times.  But, I enjoy my job and the people I work with, and we do what we can to make working "fun".

Because I work in the tobacco unit, one thing the unit decided to do to spruce up the office  (before I even got here) was to actually grow tobacco.  They purchased some seeds and soil and placed the two in little cups on our boss' windowsill.  Then, we named them, fed them, and watched them grow. Some of the plants sprouted.Some of them didn't do anything. But some of them flourished! At first, this meant that spawning a round of gnats. Fortunately, that stage has passed, and rather than gnats, the plants are now blooming surprisingly beautiful flowers.  Those dainty pink flowers are the subject of today's photo.

We don't have any intention of actually processing the tobacco into the type that you smoke, but watching the plants grow has been a lot of fun.  As for my personal plant, TB-42C, he didn't quite make it past the sprouting stage.  May he rest in peace.