Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day Seventy-Three: Sweet Victory

There were several goals in trekking up to Ankeny this weekend: to work with my brother on preparing for receiving the sacrament of Confirmation in a couple of weeks, and for Pete to meet some of the extended family.  Much of my mom's side of the family was in town because their alma mater (and when I say their, I literally mean nearly every person on that side of my family except for the Friedmans) was playing in the Iowa Boys State Basketball Championship.  Adding to the hype was the fact that my cousin EE played on the team.  As you can probably tell from the picture above, Sioux City Heelan took home the crown. I caught them the the first few seconds after the clock expired in the first few moments of probably one the greatest days of their young lives thus far.  (Notice the ref scampering the other direction in hopes of not being trampled.)

The little fan in the picture is my cousin Ali's angel, Josie. She was the best little fan during the evening: she didn't cry or whine, and only whimpered through the whole game when the crowd got a little noisy.  Way to go, Jo! :)