Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day Forty-One: Signs of the Times

We've already relished the fact a couple of times that Topeka doesn't have a lot to offer a young whipper snapper like myself. But I often forget to bring my lunch and have to go find something delicious, and hopefully healthy, that downtown has to offer. Although I rarely eat fast or fried food (with the exception being burger night and every once in a while when I "need" to indulge), I've been to this McDonald's several times for their "premium" coffees (which are actually very good). Every time I go, I'm intrigued by the sign. I've always had a "thing" for the 50s, and although (while talking to someone who initially thought I was the insurance person taking pictures of her car) I learned that the sign was probably installed around 1970, I've always like it's retro feel. Complimenting the McDonald's sign is the Hanover Pancake sign, found in the parking lot adjacent to the McD's, that is definitely retro. So, yesterday when I needed a break from work and thought the best place to do that was outside in the warm 70 degree February Kansas air, I seized the moment and snapped a few shots. I have adjusted the pictures slightly to accentuate the colors and give them a little more of that retro feel, and in doing so, I think I found a great balance between nostalgia and reality; the picture looks slightly like it's drawn, but also like a photograph at the same time.

If you want to really reflect on the picture, I can give you some more talking points: what does the contrast of the McDonald's sign next to the Hanover Pancake house say about our times. And look in the background...you can see the Curtis building, a structure recently erected as compared to buildings that have been there for a while. Old v. new? Franchise v. Local? Heart v. Soul? Mind v. Body? Man v. Nature? Okay, now I'm taking it too far. Enjoy!