Friday, February 27, 2009

Day Fifty-Eight: Streaking in the Moonlight

Hey everyone! I'm back! I don't have all of my pictures with me at this time, so you'll have to check back in to see how the middle of the week shaped up. But for now, here is my picture for today!

This picture is actually the result of some great teamwork. Pete and I were on our way to Old Chicago to indulge in some of their "heavenly" nachos. As we pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car, anxious to both eat and warm up from the cold that has recently entrapped Lawrence, Pete's astronomer's eye caught Venus and the Moon in a perfect dance. He quickly pulled out his camera and attempted a shot. For some reason, the camera set the shutter speed at about 10 seconds, and after 5 or so, he got impatient and realized we needed to use the tripod. In an effort to get it out as quickly as possible (it was COOOOOOOOOOLLLLDDD), he handed the camera off to me, shutter still open. This is what resulted.

I guess you could say that this isn't actually my picture, but we decided that it "belonged" to the person holding the camera when the shutter closed. Voila! That's me! (Plus, he got a really sweet car picture earlier in the day.)

It's not quite clear from where all the streaks of light came; the red is the Old Chicago sign, the crescent in the middle that looks like God's thumbnail is the moon, and the streaks of yellow are probably some sort of street/ parking lot lights, but that's all I can tell. It's also a mystery why the lines aren't all moving in the same direction (see the upside down "V" at the top left of the picture? Notice that the arm of the "v" on the right is moving in a direction that doesn't fit with the rest of the picture. Weird.) But, regardless of what the content of the picture actually is, it turned out pretty sweet.