Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day Fifty-Seven: It's just another story caught up in another photograph I found

Pictures of the past are always interesting. There are pictures of happier times, and pictures that capture moments we want to remember forever. There are those school pictures where we plastered our bangs up as high as they could go with using half a can of hairspray each day, and those pictures where our baby-fast clings to out chins, not quite ready to let our true selves emerge. Pictures can make us laugh or cry or want to run in the opposite direction. Regardless of how they make us feel, we can't deny that they are shadows of the past-- illustrating both who we were and how far we have come.

As I was poking around Pete's house the other day, I came across this picture that his Dad sent him for his birthday as "Memories of Birthdays Past". There were several pictures in the envelope from (approximately) birthdays 2, 8, and 14. It's fun for me to see the Pete I know today in these pictures from the past; it's a Pete I never knew, but the same wonderful, jovial, sincere, thoughtful person resounds from the ink and paper. And 29(ish) years later, I think he's still as cute as he was back then.

For those of you who were wondering, I never actually plastered my bangs up with hairspray. I left that to the other girls in my class. But baby-fat...oh baby...maybe someday I'll share those. Maybe not. :)

P.S. I have to give mad props to Jamie Cullum, the artist (and my absolute FAVORITE) from whom I stole the title for this entry. Thanks!