Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day Two Hundred and Seventy-Three: It's the Great Pumpkin!


"The road to perfection is oft paved with compromise."

No, that is not a famous quote or well known proverb. It is something I just made up and put in italics and quotation marks to look impressive. It works with anything.

Go ahead, you try.

"For a full sheen, one must lather, rinse and repeat."

Not bad.

Of course, there is a reason I led off today's blog entry with this self-penned saying, and that reason is a little deeper than the fact that I just bought two new bottles of shampoo at the grocery store.

In fact, it is the same reason that I, Pete, am writing to you today from Emily's blog, and vice versa.

This evening Emily and I traveled to Schaake's Pumpkin Patch just outside of Lawrence. If you are wanting to pick your own pumpkin right off the vine (or even launch a few from a giant pumpkin slingshot), this is the place to be - they do pumpkin picking right.

We walked around the farm for a while, hoping the perfect pumpkins would jump out at us - and eventually we found one that stood above the rest:

But enough about levitating pumpkins. What's all this about compromise?

Well, throughout our year-long picture-taking blog adventure, Emily and I have both been trying to improve our photography skills. We're always looking to take "the perfect picture."

It's a quest for perfection that extends beyond photography into many other parts of our daily lives and makes us - I believe - well-suited for each other, mainly because we both realize this: though perfection is the ultimate goal in the things we do, it is often something virtually unattainable in this earthly world - instead, it is in helping each other along the journey towards perfection that we find our meaning and purpose.

Ooh, that's good.

But I bet it would look even better in quotes and italics:

"Though perfection is the ultimate goal in the things we do, it is often something virtually unattainable in this earthly world - instead, it is in helping each other along the journey towards perfection that we find our meaning and purpose."

Nice.

All joking aside, Em and I have both been learning a little about compromise.

Case in point, she and I both wanted to take this picture, and we both saw it at the same time. However, earlier in the day I saw a picture I really wanted to take but couldn't because I was driving - so instead she took it.

Not only did we decide to trust each other's artistic abilities enough to trade pictures, but we also decided to trade blog entries for the day. A fair compromise.

Of course, by now (three essays-worth later) she's probably regretting the decision to let me write on her blog.

So, I'll leave you with a simple thought that, open-mindedness and compromise seem to be two of the keys to a healthy partnership.

But,

"if you're too open minded, your brains will fall out."

You know it's true. It's in quotes and italics.