Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day Three Hundred and Eleven: in the Heat of Battle


Every year, St. John's Catholic Grade School, in conjunction with St. John's church here in Lawrence, has an auction to raise significant sums of money to support the school. Pete and I were asked to help out this year; he provided the music for the dinner area, and I took some pictures. Although my primary job was to take portrait type photos, I do best with candids like this one here. This woman is scoping out the incredible Wii package. I don't quite remember what it all included, and we weren't there when that particular item was auctioned off, but rest assured, this woman got a good deal.

The St. John's Auction is the largest auction in the city of Lawrence. This year, it was their goal to raise $220,000 for the school. The final numbers have not yet been tabulated, but rumor seems to have it that they raised even more than that...and that's an accomplishment in this time of recession.

To check out more pictures from the auction, check out my smugmug page.


P.S. There are several things that I would have liked to have done to tweek this picture and make it even better. But, because my computer (and version of photoshop) are very old, and because I didn't have access to Pete's computer while editing this picture, I ask you not to jduge my photography/ editing skills based on this picture. :)