Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bug eyes

I don't really "need" contacts, or glasses for that matter; I have been fortunate enough to have been blessed with very good eyesight up to this point and really only need them for driving distances. But recently, my eyes have been straining when I don't wear my glasses, and subsequently i have become Emily Four-eyes for the past couple months. To remedy that, I went and visited my eye doctor today while I'm at home in Iowa. He prescribed some contacts for me. Good. Great, even. But, the thing about contacts is you have to put them in your eye before you can wear them. This is where my trouble begins. I spent 45 very frustrating minutes being coached on how to use contacts. My 13 year old brother has contacts and has for a while; if he could do it in his awkward pre-pubescent stage, then I could certainly conquer contacts. I became very frustrated after the first 30 minutes or so, but after the lady at the dr's office made a music analogy, I was golden and finally accomplished the task. I was also able to take it out and put it back in on the first try! Yippie! So, no more glasses long term for me. Woot.

P.S. I told this story to my 13 year old brother, the one with the contacts, and he told me that he got his contact in on the first try. Damn him.